Tratak is a highly effective meditation practice for regaining eyesight. It has been observed that a regular practice of Tratak can help the practitioner to get rid of eyeglasses in three to twelve months, depending on the power of the glasses.
How to Practice
The term ‘Tratak’ means gazing. Tratak practice, in simple terms, means gaining at a fixed point for long duration without blinking the eyes. The object of gazing can be candle light, rising Sun, evening moon, or any other point where a person can fix his gaze comfortably. Ideally, the object of gazing should be at the height of eye level for the practitioner. For the same reason, Tratak is practiced either at the rising Sun or evening moon as at both these times the practitioner can gaze at it without having to look upwards. Moreover, gazing for long at the Sun after sunrise would not be comfortable for the practitioner.
Tratak practice should be done by sitting cross-legged at the floor on a mat. Sitting cross-legged or in any other yoga posture allows energy flow through the body of the practitioner. Once seated, the practitioner should keep his spine straight and head over his/ her shoulders and follow the below steps:
- Close the eyes and take a few deep breaths
- Relax your entire body; let go of tension in all the muscles of the body; let your body loose
- Now start breathing normally and mentally chant “So” while inhaling and “Aham” while exhaling (chant mentally)
- Gradually, open your eyes and fix your gaze on a single point on the candle flame/ or on the rising Sun/ evening moon (for the beginners, practicing on the candle light is recommended)
- For practicing Tratak on candle light, the practitioner should sit at a distance of 2.5 – 3 feet from the candle.
- Keep your body still, your gaze still (fixated on the point) and your mind still (do not think about anything)
- Bring your focus on your breathing, inhale with a mental chant “So”, exhale with a mental chant “Aham”. Focusing on breathing will help you avoid thinking about anything else.
- Continue this for as long as you can or as long as you start shedding water from the eyes
- Once you decide to come out of Tratak, close your eyes and see the flame mentally with eyes closed. Sit like this for a few minutes before opening your eyes.
Practice daily and gradually try to increase the duration of your practice over the weeks.
Finer details of Tratak practice
In the beginning you may not be able to avoid blinking your eyes. Don’t worry, keep trying again and again while continuously keeping your body still and mind still. After a certain amount of practice, you will naturally start to see the duration between blinks increasing. Persistence is the key here.
In case you are unable to avoid blinking your eyes frequently, that can be caused by the wrong posture. Try to adjust your posture and you may find yourself successful in avoiding blinking.
In case you unintentionally continued to hold any of your body muscle tight, it can also cause you to blink frequently. Release the tension in that body part and you may feel better in control of your blinking.
It is advisable to keep the candle flame at eye level height, else the practitioner may experience neck pain. The candle should be at a distance of 2.5 to 3 feet from your eyes.
After practicing Tratak, the practitioner should wash his/ her eyes with fresh water.
After practicing for 2-3 months regularly, the person may start feeling some kind of uneasiness in the eyes in using the current eyeglasses. Invariably, you would start feeling better if you remove your eyeglasses. At this time, one should get his eyesight tested. It is quite likely that the power of your eyeglasses might have reduced.
Get the glasses changed and continue with your daily practice, till you start feeling that pain again.